Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Glen Sather Is A Cocksucker

Hockey has always been the sport that makes me most emotional. Maybe it's the non-stop aspect of it, maybe it's the violence, maybe it's the difficulty in scoring in it. So sometimes when I see bad news relating to the Rangers, I can fly off the handle. I'm not going to subject you to some hackneyed bullshit like cursing a lot and using all caps, but just know that with the news that Sean Avery will be taking his act to the Western Conference fills me with a bilious rage, especially after reading this Gawker item about him telling a blogger he was going to be jerking off to her that night and then texting her to let her know it was going well.

Avery wasn't going to score 50 goals or come near to recording even 60 points this year, or at anytime in the life of his contract. He was, however, the spark this team always seems to need because they're all a bunch of soft Europeans. For all the talk that he was a distraction in the locker room, the team performed much better with him than without him, and I don't think it's a coincidence that the Rangers' hot streak at the end of the 2006-07 season came when he got added to the mix.

So Glen, you rotten fucking punk, what's next? You already sewed the seeds to fuck this up last year during that awful arbitration session, you couldn't ink Avey to an extension when you had exclusive rights to negotiate with him, you couldn't land Marian Hossa or even Ryan Malone. If it really is going to be the Jagr/Sundin show, we better make sure the games get out on time to catch the early bird special. And let's not forget the awesome six year deal(!) for a guy who's 31(!). I am so angry. I hope Glen Sather falls down the stairs tonight.

And somehow, as if someone in Bristol wants to make me punch the TV, the Sox/Rays game has been interrupted by a commercial break in the middle of the inning for the second straight inning.

4 comments:

tomeoftheunknownblogger said...

Pulp,

I can't vouch for whether or not Sather likes tubesteak, but when he was GM of the Oilers he seemed to always be in perpetual "building" mode (whatever that is). The Oilers - due to shitty performances year over year (after the "dynasty" years) - would always get good draft picks. They'd get the promising young up and comers and just when they started to produce, Sather would deal them off. It pissed off fans in this area to no end.

Reminds me also of when I was (years ago) a Maple Leafs fan. It seemed like that fat bastard, Harold Ballard, really didn't ever want to have a Stanley Cup winning team again. That prick would drive off every good player the Leafs would get.

I'm over it now, of course, and could give a rat's ass about any of it. But in remembering days gone by, I can commiserate.

Rob

Pulp said...

Sather at least brought the Oilers some Cups. He's had an odd run here, and if I might say so, I think Sather really lucked out with the lockout. I think in the next couple years we're going to find out whether he's just lucky or good.

But I also know I'm biased in this because Avery quickly became my favorite player, and no one likes to see their favorite leave, especially to a shit town like Dallas (according to Dan anyway).

tomeoftheunknownblogger said...

Favourite players...

I'm a bit older than you so I don't know if you remember the day in August of '88 when Peter Pocklington "sold" Wayne Gretzky to the LA Kings.

There were a lot of tears shed that day...

Tino said...

Thanks for the link! Yesterday was a sad day for Rangers fans everywhere.

Sather's had a very strange run here. He's at least done a much better job through the draft in recent years (Staal, Lundqvist, Dubinsky) and now that he's moving away from a Euro-centric team we'll see how he does, but if he is doing that (and indications are he is, unless they get Sundin) then letting Avery go makes even less sense.

Tino
http://luapula.wordpress.com