Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Those damn co-ed dorms!

Obviously everyone has read about the horrible attack that took place at Virginia Tech yesterday. Some people have been attempting to find ways to avoid such attacks in the future. Today, we have a very insightful article written by Carol Iannone, of the rational and totally not crazy National Review. In this lovely article, she shows incredible insight into how this situation can not be repeated:
"And I'm sorry, some will really think me foolish, but I don't think dorms should be co-ed, so that crazed, jealous boyfriends can enter their girlfriends' dorms and kill them and the innocent young men who come to their aid. If it had been a single-sex dorm, the killer might not have been able to enter so readily. There aren't enough difficulties getting young people through college these days so that we have to deal with "domestic disputes" in their dormitories as well?"

Well Carol, you can count me as one who not only thinks you aren't foolish, but wants to promote you to captain of all social situations! I think that the opposite sexes shouldn't mix until marriage. Why bring out extra stress and anxiety amongst the population?

However, Carol's wise words do not stop there. She makes this interesting and profound point:
"I am sorry that no one had a gun to take the killer out before he could destroy more lives. He was evidently able to reload. Was there a moment when he could have been tackled?...We all need to learn to act, and not necessarily to rely on security and responders. We are supposed to be at war. This was not an act of terrorism but it may as well have been, for the damage it caused. We must be wartime ready."

Damn right! I know the next time I think someone looks suspicious, I'm going to just shoot them. That way I know I'll be safe. Thanks Carol!

2 comments:

Slammnardo said...

Let's have more guns in dorms and less sexual intermingling!

Apartment 618 said...

That way we can get some good crossfire going on!