Thursday, April 12, 2007

So It Goes: A Playoff Preview

There was supposed to be something up here about how I viewed the Mets' young season, but then Kurt Vonnegut went and died on us. I guess you'll all have to put up with a hockey post instead. So it goes.

The Rangers last year were one of the best teams in hockey, with the best player in hockey (fuck you Joe Thorton). For three quarters of the season anyway. Then rookie sensation Peter Prucha got a knee injury, the Olympics came, Jaromir Jagr got a concussion, Henrik Lundqvist started getting headaches, the Devils got hot and the Rangers found themselves dropping from a 3 seed to a 6 seed and were promptly humiliated and swept by the Devils in 4 games. So it goes.


This year's Ranger team has brought all the faithful fans to the edge and back, just about every week, until the 26 game stretch down the end when they went 16-5-5 and solidified a playoff spot. They even grabbed the 6 seed or good measure, impressively jumping from ninth in the league to sixth. I attribute this to the import of complete dickhead Sean Avery.

Often when I meet people, I come off like an asshole. I don't mean to usually, it's just the way I talk about things. This, coincidentally enough, has not won me many female admirers. Sean Avery is not only an asshole, he gets paid to be one. Not only that, but he is dating Elisha Cuthbert. So it goes.

The Atlanta Thrashers are a talented offensive team with speed and tremendous goal scoring ability. I haven't heard of any of their defensemen and their goalie's name is Kari, which is one letter away from Keri, which is a girl's name. The Thrashers also have Bobby Holik, a name Rangers fans will remember from the bad old days at MSG when the Rangers played like the Knicks.

Due to my rampant homerism and my complete unwillingness to pick a team from Atlanta to do anything but crash the team bus off a mountain, I will pick the Rangers in six, citing their veteran moxie and the resurgent Henrik Lundqvist, who's so hot right now he can get away with assaulting teenagers (I kid, I kid. She was asking for it).

The last thing I will say is that it's incredible, but only 1 of the 4 games tonight will be broadcast on national television. What's that you say? The NHL is run by morons?

So it goes.

1 comment:

Slammnardo said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again, never trust a man with a girl's name.