Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Um...I'd Just Like to Get a Word In...No Biggie...

Hi. I'm Common Sense (not the rapper). I know you don't find me on The Gil Meche Experience very often (what with the being named after an overpaid number three starter and being run by drug addicts), but I'd just like to talk about something real quickly.

Everywhere I look nowadays I see people calling the Phillies the team to beat in the NL East. Everyone says they made incredible offseason pickups and are poised to overtake the Mets. Hey, everyone can have an opinion, that's fine by me...but...um...no, nevermind...

You want me to finish? Well, OK. I don't mean to sound unimpressed, but since when are Freddy Garcia and Adam Eaton huge difference makers? I mean, hey, I like Freddy Garcia. Always have. I am after all Common Sense, and I can tell a quality pitcher when I see one. But it's not like Freddy Garcia is Sandy Koufax. He took a step back last year and he gave up 32 home runs and is going to a ballpark where pop flies become grand slams (no, the Phillies did not talk to me before designing their ballpark). He's a contact pitcher, and it's not as if he's going to have fantastic defense behind him. I won't even mention Adam Eaton. Well, OK, just a little thing. He's Adam freakin' Eaton people. Calm down.

As for the rest of the team, this is the same collection of players that hasn't ever been to the playoffs, right? These are the Phillies starting Wes Helms at third base and using Shane Victorino as a corner outfielder, right? Yes?

Anyway, I don't mean to say the Phillies aren't good. But come on everyone, they aren't that good.

1 comment:

Sideshow said...

I, for one, believe that with these new picks the Phillies will finally be able to cure cancer and also turn water into funk. It might not help them in the arena of baseball, but curing cancer and water to funk are two projects they've been working on since the team's inception in 1883. Don't believe me? Wiki that shit.